Saturday, October 2, 2010

September 24: In Culbertson, I settle on dinner before camp set up in the town park as it is still light outside. It's the homecoming game and the junior high school game just finished so the place is packed. I order my pizza and turn to find no available seats. A nice family of three (the fourth, their daughter is at the field still) offers me a seat at their table. I have a lovely meal with Larry, Beth, and their son, Christian, local farmers and members of the town community. They invite me to the main event of the evening, the varsity high school game and I say perhaps. After dinner, we say our goodbyes, and as I'm leaving another table invites me to come over and chat. These three, around my age (low to mid thirties), are Indian Health Service workers. We get to taking and I find that I have quite a few things in common with the doctor, Heather (both lived in Park Slope area at one time, vegetarian, theater background). They give me some info about the area I'm going to pass through and recommend the brewery in Wolf Point to me. as were leaving, we have someone rake some photos of us and I give them each a flyer. I say goodbye and go to the park and set up camp, writing and making phone calls before heading to the field to catch the second half of the game. It's an enjoyable and relaxing sight, if at times comical to see such small bodies playing football (ice become so used to professional football, hulking masses bashing like freight trains across the field). The home team wins and the crowd leaves joyful and laughing.



No comments:

Post a Comment