Friday, October 15, 2010

October 7: It's dark. It's wet. I've been biking for miles in the night and the rain and I still have 19 miles before Spokane. The shoulder's wide bulky the weather is miserable. I stop in the town before Spokane, Riverside only to find no lodging just a grocery. Things seem bleak but just as I find the needles of despair poking against my side, in comes a gentleman, named Ken, who after conversating about my trip offers me a spot in an RV he uses for storage on his property. My one question is if it's dry and I'm sold. I go to gather food for dinner while he smiles a stoge and waits to give me directions. when I come to the counter the clerk girl Lindsay brings me a bunch of extra food insisting I take it for my trip. I tell her I'm a veggie but I will take the macaroni salad. She smiles heats up and wraps the pizza I bought and gives me a card insisting I send her and the girls a postcard when I get where in going. Ken gives me the directions saying he'll come back and find me if I get lost, which I did and he did. We hang out and talk for a bit on his porch and I meet his wife, then into the trailer I got stripping and hanging my wet layers before cold and damp can seep into my bones. another day that providence has blessed me with fair fortune and I fall asleep dry, warm and thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment