Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 5: Day two through the Rockies and this one made the first look like a breeze. The climbs were steeper and longer, the downhills shorter and more gradual. Tom make matters worse was the knowledge that I was being forced further North out of my way due to the mountains. Thirty miles of road connecting through would have saved me about a days ride. Oh well! Despite this, I matched my miles from the Divide day putting in another ninety through the mountains. The other positive is that it was another day of shear beauty, cradled in the arms of ranges to my left and right. I reached Libby around sunset, and checking my messages for the day (no service again) met the Ivers at a small Mexican restaurant. They treated me to dinner and I got to say it probably was the best Mexican I had since leaving Brooklyn. it was tasty, no frills, solid and cheap. Over dinner, we discussed routes and talked of Libby. The town was extremely depressed, to the point of death moans nearly. Founded on mining and timber, Libby had lived to see both evaporate into near nothing. To add to this the town's other big business an Asbestos plant, which ironically had supplied the asbestos for the World Trade Center, had also closed down, leaving not only many out of work but also poisoned and sick with no hope of recourse as the local judge, his pockets thick with payoff cash, had dismissed the bulk of any clowns as coincidental. Keith Ivers, an Assistant Principal, had seen his school shrivel as the mass exodus from the town flowed steadier than the Libby River, it's namesake. Next year they'd be closing one of the school buildings down because of lack of need.



No comments:

Post a Comment