Friday, October 15, 2010

October 6: A scary way into town. I found myself biking in the darkness for Sandpoint, little shoulder to ride and heavy traffic in the darkness. To make matters worse I still have no music and no reply from anyone from couch surfer besides a guy named Joel, who's in California but gave me some spots to look for people to put me up. Fifteen miles down and I get to civilization but I'm actually in the strip mall suburb of Sandpoint not the city itself. I grab a bite, talk to Joel who gives me directions and points out a great pub where I might find someone named Eikhardt's. I finally get there and order a sampler of local brews. Some very tasty local one at that. Although distant at first the bartender Bob starts to warm up to me as we along with this patron named Norm get to talking. Norm lives outside of town but is housesitting his friends place just down the street. he offers me some floor space and I take it as I order us a round of beers. We stayed for another hour talking and sipping our beers, Bob, Norm, and two bikers named Chris and Dave who are driving through all offering route suggestions and topography hints. We leave and walk back to the apartment, Norm helping me carry my bike up the landing as it begins to rain. We spend the rest of the evening in enjoyable conversation mostly over geography. The big surprise is though when I find out that the person he's housesitting for is actually Joel from couch surfer. I laughed myself quietly to sleep that night over the small world irony of the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment