Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 20: A lost battle today. Starting late, we were set upon by gusty headwinds, gnawing chill, needle spray showers, and deep gray hills. added to this the fact that I had had so little calories in the last 24 hours was all it took to not make it to Williston. We had to settle for permission to camp in a small town park in Ray, ND. Thanks to icing on the cake, state troopers telling us we couldn't ride on the small paved shoulder because it was freaking out the truckers and had too ride the last ten miles to ray on a gravel track in the dark. Finally getting to Ray, I forged out in three egg sandwiches at a roadside Ice cream shop called Snow White. We ate and pedaled throughout the dark searching for the school house we were to camp behind. I pitched my tent cursing frequently as gusts of wind constantly shifted my tent and ground cloth. We said goodnight and I passed out to the lullaby of the angry North Dakota winds.


No comments:

Post a Comment