Wednesday, September 15, 2010

September 14: If you ever get the chance, stop in Ellendale, ND. It's a a nice little town and the first town you hit after South Dakota. There's a steakhouse called Fireside that has a very vegetarian friendly salad bar, and all the food is made with fresh ingredients. Even better is the Ellendale Opera House. Built in 1904, the venue hosted Army regiments and passing dignitaries before falling into obscurity and disrepair. Recently, thanks to lobbying and petitioning, the restoration board has received a sizable amount in grants from rotors including the historic society to bring the opera house back to it's former glory. Linda, one of the board members, who we had the good fortune to run into gave us a tour of the building. Such an amazing space full of potential. We talked a little shop after I told her about what I do in Brooklyn and at Irondale. She offered me a job citing the low cost of living in North Dakota as am advantage. I jokingly asked if there was a college in town so I could go back to teaching English too. She replied that there used to be a university but now it's hydra bible college. I crossed my fingers and said I'd consider the offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment